Psychology
Course
PSYC 370
Professor
Robert Ley
Semester
Fall

Description
PSYC 370 Lecture 2 September 13, 2012 Three words to describe your personality, 3 words your mother would use.. Prof used this in a case with father who sexually abused his 3-year old daughter How did I do my own self-assessment? i.e. what people have said about me, self-concept, experiences My personality: shy, funny, nice Mom about me: independent, stubborn, caring Mesomorph: heavily muscled type body Endomorph: tall, skinny, lean, chopstick build Ectomorph: rounder body type How often do we use physical characteristics to describe personality type? “Criminal type”: dark, beady eyes etc Never sees these professionals in psychotherapy: Accountants and Engineers - We expect these guys to have a more detailed, analytic view of the world - Engineer: “god didn’t give us feelings – he gave us technical abilities” The way we think has to do with our personality. In an interview, what counts? Content (what someone says), and the way one says it (intonation, hand gestures, etc) Carl Jung: psychoanalytic theorist; he had psychic structures (one called the shadow) Shadow – disowned/unacceptable parts of ourselves - We engage in actions that are alien to us in some way - “that wasn’t me, what was I thinking? Why did I do that?” - 2/3 of the people in the class have stolen something – stealing is normative at younger ages PERSONA – Outer representation of ourselves: our outward projection of our personality (persona: what the world sees when they see you) - We make judgements of people based on what they wear, their social selves, their occupation Albert Bandura - Bobo doll experiment: social learning theory: observational learnining - Children who get spanked (as punishment) is likely to use the same style of punishment because of observational learning Sometimes people are too nice… it’s usually overcompensation for a part of their personality that isn’t too nice.. Terrible twos? - That’s when children learn to say what they want, preferences, etc - Is the child easy to sooth and settle? Demanding child and hard to please? Some of these personality traits are easy to deal with… nature and nurture come into play..? Dysteria – high strung emotions, lots of fluctuation - Emotionally dramatic in a superficial way hahaha Can personality be changed? - If someone quits smoking? If someone puts effort into being more/less sociable? – do these things change your personality Pedophilia – the love of children - Usually good with kids, effective with relationships with kids - Not just sexual attraction… but actual love for being around kids - In therapy: therapist tries to get the patient to think in an adult orientation o Social confidence, competence, skills not relatable to adults **Greeks believed that emotions come from the liver -- thought the liver was dislodged and floating around in the body and that’s what was causing the crazy emotions (hysteria) Personality synonyms: character, trait, nature, disposition, temperament, constitution, humour Personality types linked to one’s body type is called constitutional psychology. Humour – liquids in the body…bodily fluids - Hippocrates theorized bodily fluids that tell personality styles - “your brother is not in a very good humour today” – irritable, down, etc (similar to mood?) - Used a lot in English literature Personality means: in Latin: persona - How someone appeared, the role or part that someone played in life - Persona in greek theatre: the :D or D: mask in greek theatre - Personare (Latin): to sound through Stoicism/Stoic: School of philosophy - Today: Unemotional, not expressive of their feelings - Before: persona of people in the school of philosophy in greek times Karl Rogers: Humanism..? - Outward mask/persona.. is it congruent with my inner self? Or different? Allport (?) - Personality is the dynamic organization within the individual of those psychophysical systems that determine one’s unique adjustment to the world - Dynamic organization: personality is not static, it fluctuates (psychodynamic theories), there is tension within the system (a person) o Organization: people have a sense of it (..?) -
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 370

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit