SA 150 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Social Change, Matriarchy, Margaret Mead

59 views4 pages

Document Summary

Different groups in society are actively competing against each other for resources: there are winners and losers. Stratification ensures the privileges of the dominant groups and marginalization of the minority. Our ideas of social mobility is exaggerated: few people succeed despite working very hard, few people that break through are exceptions. Capitalists owned land, factories, banks, etc; in control of production. In their interest to exploit proletariat to the max for profit: proletariat. People that sell their time and labor to survive. Believed conflict btwn two classes will lead to social change (revolution) Believed proletariat will try and take over means of production. Shift from blue collar workers to white collar: blue collar worker: lower prestige, manual labor, white collar worker: higher prestige, mental labor, repetitive. Max weber: agreed e(cid:272)o(cid:374)o(cid:373)i(cid:272) fa(cid:272)tors are i(cid:373)porta(cid:374)t i(cid:374) u(cid:374)dersta(cid:374)di(cid:374)g a(cid:374) i(cid:374)di(cid:448)idual"s (cid:271)eha(cid:448)ior, wealth all the accumulative assets of a person, power ability of one person to impose their will on another person.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers