Saturday, February 13, 2016
ETHICAL RESEARCH PT. 2!
Harm to Participants!
- Recognition/avoidance of potential harm!
- SRA (Social Research Association)!
!i. Sensitivity, possible consequences to researcher, guard against predictable !
- Types of possible harm:!
!i. Physical ---> physical safety risks!
!ii. Psychological ---> stress/anxiety, identity crisis!
!iii. Harm thru publication ---> damage to reputation (negative stereotype, loss of !
!iv. Harm to researcher ---> ex. observing criminal activity, participants saying -ve !
!v. Harm to researcher profession ---> ex. creating mistrust/harm in profession!
Harm/Potential Harm Mitigated by Informed Consent?!
- YES ---> degrees of harm acknowledged; temp. harm for long term good!
- NO ---> inﬂicting potentially unknown amt of harm; depends on researcher's def. of
harm, info. on participant, etc.!
How to Deal w/ Challenging Ethical Situations!
- Ethical code of conduct!
- Legal obligation to inform police of illegal activity!