Fall 2017

Department
Faculty of Applied Science & Technology
Course Code
INFO 16029
Professor
Boom
Lecture

This preview shows pages 1-3. Sign up to view the full 19 pages of the document.
Finance
Monday, February 6, 2017
Does anyone need to hand in a hard copy of your assignment still?
Sorry about last week that’s the first week I’ve had to cancel. We’re going to condense the
rest. There are some things I’m going to skip over, and I’d suggest that if I’m skipping over it,
don’t spend a lot of time studying it. If there is anything on the test that we don’t cover in class,
I will deduct that from your test. You shouldn’t be responsible for information we don’t discuss
in class, but I don’t think there will be anything like that. It’s heavily on what we have already
done, especially the KYC stuff.
We’re going through Unit 4, 5 and 7 – that is information that will be on the test.
Week 4: Unit 4 Economic Factors and Financial Markets
Review of financial Statements, Cash/Debt Management & TMV
- Cash flow statement income and expenses money coming in and going out
o Age, job, experience, type of job you do things like that will affect the cash flow
statement
- Personal balance sheet net worth statement what is that about?
o All the things you own and all the things you owe (loans), and what you have are
you assets (house, liquid, investment)
- Corporate statements related to personal statements
- Future and present value statements make sure you practice those again and make sure your
calculator is programmed properly. It’s a silly way to lose marks.
- Credit scores you can influence your own credit scores
What you will learn (slide)
(Reading slide)
Economic Indicators (slide)
You’ve probably heard of some of these before, but these three things are all leading indicators:
they tell us a lot about what is happening in the economy.
Gross Domestic Product (GDP) this calculates all the things we make in the country (it can be
services as well). It’s the final products. I have a video to show you how that is calculated.
You’re not expected to calculate the GDP – there are thousands of people that work together to
find more resources at oneclass.com
calculate this. But when Stats Canada comes up with this figure for us, we need to know what it
means.
Annual Inflation Rate (CPI) ( also known as the Consumer Price Index) If we’re producing
more and creating a lot of stuff in the economy, what do you think is happening?
S: Lower unemployment.
T: Yes, but as we all get employed then, what is our access to money like? It’s better. You have
money coming in, so it’s a good thing. But as money is coming in, prices can go up. If you
owned a company and you’re selling widgets and everyone is making money, then you can
probably put the price up. That’s what inflation is about – the prices increasing and decreasing.
As GDP goes up, so too will prices. If GDP is going down, it means companies are producing
less, it means that they have less people on staff (probably layoffs or harder to get a job
generally). My hope is that GDP is high when you graduate. If GDP is going down, so too are
prices. If no one has any money, you cant sell your widgets for top dollar anymore.
Unemployment Rate the percentage of people that aren’t employed. Who is included in this?
People who are able and wanting to work. My dad is retired, and he isn’t seeking work, so he
isn’t included in this.
S: So how do they calculate it?
T: Stats Canada does it. There are surveys that go around, and there are videos on here that show
how it happens.
Some Important Links (slide)
Let’s look at how these are calculated.
[GDP Explanation Video]
This example had four different industries involved. There are many more involved. There is
someone who creates the tires, the rims, the wires, and so on. And that’s just one little company.
So we cannot calculate this ourselves, but we can use this information to help guide us in what’s
going to happen in the economy. As GDP is increasing, the economy is doing very well, and
when GDP is decreasing, the economy is slowing down.
[CPI Explanation Video]
So CPI is measuring the price changes. You’ve heard her talk about adjustments on Pension
Plans and so on are people who are retired. When CPI/inflation increases, so does the
government pension. Most of us work in an environment where that doesn’t happen. You don’t
automatically get a raise because inflation went up.
CPI is really difficult to calculate. I think it would be the most boring job in the world you’d
go into stores and write down the price of everything.
Business Cycles (slide)
Our business cycle does go up and down all the time. I’ve done a little pictorial here to see the
wave pattern. In reality, the up times tend to be much longer than the recessionary times (they
don’t usually last more than 2 years, whereas expansion inflation usually happens for about 10
years and often longer). As we have this wave of economic activity, and the economy is
improving, what is happening to GDP? It’s increasing. Prices start to creep up. It’s particularly
near the top of the curve that this happens. Then we crest the curve, companies have been doing
really well, but suddenly, they are noticing that prices have increased so much that people aren’t
buying as much. Companies react pretty quickly when products aren’t selling. They cut back on
their production because they don’t want whole warehouses of stuff they can’t sell. They lay off
their employees or eliminate some positions altogether. When you have firms laying employees
off and creating less stuff, we can all be unemployed and searching for that one job. If we are all
competing, they don’t have to pay as much either, so wages start to decrease, and then prices
have to come down, too, because we don’t have as much to spend on stuff.
Then we turn the corner again, new businesses have great startup ideas and the whole cycle starts
again. GDP and CPI will increase, and unemployment will decrease.
[writing summary on the board]
During this first phase, what’s happening to GDP? It’s increasing. What’s happening to prices?
They're increasing! So what’s happening to unemployment? It’s decreasing. Now when we start
to hit the trough here what is happening? GDP is decreasing. Prices decrease and unemployment
increases. See how they're all connected? They all give us leading indicators to tell us what is
going on in the economy.
S: how do you know if we’re having a recession?
T: That is a great question, I wish you could determine that. But you can’t tell if it’s a recession
until it’s over, It’s 2 quarters down.
One other thing I want to talk to you about is that is the economy changes like this what

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Finance Monday, February 6, 2017 Does anyone need to hand in a hard copy of your assignment still? Sorry about last week thats the first week Ive had to cancel. Were going to condense the rest. There are some things Im going to skip over, and Id suggest that if Im skipping over it, dont spend a lot of time studying it. If there is anything on the test that we dont cover in class, I will deduct that from your test. You shouldnt be responsible for information we dont discuss in class, but I dont think there will be anything like that. Its heavily on what we have already done, especially the KYC stuff. Were going through Unit 4, 5 and 7 that is information that will be on the test. Week 4: Unit 4 Economic Factors and Financial Markets Review of financial Statements, Cash/Debt Management & TMV - Cash flow statement income and expenses money coming in and going out o Age, job, experience, type of job you do things like that will affect the cash flow statement - Personal balance sheet net worth statement what is that about? o All the things you own and all the things you owe (loans), and what you have are you assets (house, liquid, investment) - Corporate statements related to personal statements - Future and present value statements make sure you practice those again and make sure your calculator is programmed properly. Its a silly way to lose marks. - Credit scores you can influence your own credit scores What you will learn (slide) (Reading slide) Economic Indicators (slide) Youve probably heard of some of these before, but these three things are all leading indicators: they tell us a lot about what is happening in the economy. Gross Domestic Product (GDP) this calculates all the things we make in the country (it can be services as well). Its the final products. I have a video to show you how that is calculated. Youre not expected to calculate the GDP there are thousands of people that work together to calculate this. But when Stats Canada comes up with this figure for us, we need to know what it means. Annual Inflation Rate (CPI) ( also known as the Consumer Price Index) If were producing more and creating a lot of stuff in the economy, what do you think is happening? S: Lower unemployment. T: Yes, but as we all get employed then, what is our access to money like? Its better. You have money coming in, so its a good thing. But as money is coming in, prices can go up. If you owned a company and youre selling widgets and everyone is making money, then you can probably put the price up. Thats what inflation is about the prices increasing and decreasing. As GDP goes up, so too will prices. If GDP is going down, it means companies are producing less, it means that they have less people on staff (probably layoffs or harder to get a job generally). My hope is that GDP is high when you graduate. If GDP is going down, so too are prices. If no one has any money, you cant sell your widgets for top dollar anymore. Unemployment Rate the percentage of people that arent employed. Who is included in this? People who are able and wanting to work. My dad is retired, and he isnt seeking work, so he isnt included in this. S: So how do they calculate it? T: Stats Canada does it. There are surveys that go around, and there are videos on here that show how it happens. Some Important Links (slide) Lets look at how these are calculated. [GDP Explanation Video] This example had four different industries involved. There are many more involved. There is someone who creates the tires, the rims, the wires, and so on. And thats just one little company. So we cannot calculate this ourselves, but we can use this information to help guide us in whats going to happen in the economy. As GDP is increasing, the economy is doing very well, and when GDP is decreasing, the economy is slowing down. [CPI Explanation Video] So CPI is measuring the price changes. Youve heard her talk about adjustments on Pension Plans and so on are people who are retired. When CPI/inflation increases, so does the government pension. Most of us work in an environment where that doesnt happen. You dont automatically get a raise because inflation went up. CPI is really difficult to calculate. I think it would be the most boring job in the world youd go into stores and write down the price of everything. Business Cycles (slide) Our business cycle does go up and down all the time. Ive done a little pictorial here to see the wave pattern. In reality, the up times tend to be much longer than the recessionary times (they dont usually last more than 2 years, whereas expansion inflation usually happens for about 10 years and often longer). As we have this wave of economic activity, and the economy is improving, what is happening to GDP? Its increasing. Prices start to creep up. Its particularly near the top of the curve that this happens. Then we crest the curve, companies have been doing really well, but suddenly, they are noticing that prices have increased so much that people arent buying as much. Companies react pretty quickly when products arent selling. They cut back on their production because they dont want whole warehouses of stuff they cant sell. They lay off their employees or eliminate some positions altogether. When you have firms laying employees off and creating less stuff, we can all be unemployed and searching for that one job. If we are all competing, they dont have to pay as much either, so wages start to decrease, and then prices have to come down, too, because we dont have as much to spend on stuff. Then we turn the corner again, new businesses have great startup ideas and the whole cycle starts again. GDP and CPI will increase, and unemployment will decrease. [writing summary on the board] During this first phase, whats happening to GDP? Its increasing. Whats happening to prices? They're increasing! So whats happening to unemployment? Its decreasing. Now when we start to hit the trough here what is happening? GDP is decreasing. Prices decrease and unemployment increases. See how they're all connected? They all give us leading indicators to tell us what is going on in the economy. S: how do you know if were having a recession? T: That is a great question, I wish you could determine that. But you cant tell if its a recession until its over, Its 2 quarters down. One other thing I want to talk to you about is that is the economy changes like this what companies do you think are doing well? Thats called expansion. What companies are doing well? S: retail T: yes people are buying clothes and food S2: manufacturers S3: oil T: it depends but probably yes S4: business and financial services T: Yes S5: real estate S6: An agent? T: like a real estate agent? Sure Does this mean everyone is doing badly when things turn a corner and are turning into a recession? Who might do well in a recession? S: banks because people are getting more loans? T: Well in a recession we are tapering that off. Think of yourself S: real estate T: You are all focused on the housing market! You'll still see the market active here yes but its cheaper. Think about you Lets say you go into the liquor store and you're buying a nice gift for your prof at the end of the term. Its a gift for someone. If you're worried about money, do you buy the gift bag at the liquor store or go next door to the dollar store? Do people spend more money at the dollar store when they're low on money? Wal-Mart might do better in a recession. Any discount store might do better in a recession. Where do you eat during a recession?
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit