Winter 2017

Department
Art
Course Code
ART 142
Professor
Arthur Sparks
Lecture

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 5 pages of the document.
March 28/ 2016
Art in Europe Between the World Wars, continued:
Constantin Brancusi, Sleeping Muse and the Newborn:
- wanted to simplify everything
Sleeping Muse:
- simplified oval head
- nose
- ears
- lightly indicated eyes
- sculpture
The Newborn:
- simple oval; suggests the idea of an egg
- could be a head; wedge shape indicates nose
- if newborn, could be a wide open crying mouth
- Brancusi said this sculpture should always be on a low plinth, so we look down on it
Brancusi, Bird in Space:
- Romanian folk tales contain a magical golden bird
- bird in flight; beak could be at one end, tail at the other
- meant to be placed on a very high pedestal
- simplified abstraction useful to influence 20th century sculpture
- compares his creation of primal form to God’s creation of primal form
North America Between the World Wars:
- Nude descending a staircase was exhibited in America
- many critics hated the show, but it brought new ideas from Europe
Man Ray, Cadeau:
- made sculptures following surrealist tradition; Dada
- spent most of his life working in Paris
- attaches a line of rails to an iron; made the iron useless > becomes a work of art
- unnerving; looks like a weapon
Man Ray, Untitled:
- also a photographer
- came up with photogram; didn’t use comma, but put objects on photo paper and exposed it to
light
- slinky; drinking glass; block; smudge at top might be crumpled paper
- exposed for less time = brighter
- makes recognizable items flat and patternlike; Dada and surrealism
find more resources at oneclass.com
Joan Miro, Painting:
- european
- tried to remove from the real world, but with subconscious associations
- automatism; accessing the subconscious mind > would cut piece out of catalogues (these
in particular were machine parts) and toss them on the canvas. Traced around them, and
then painted, outlined and filled to various degrees
- Slightly biomorphic
Alexander Calder, Lobster:
- took Miro’s idea, but created mobiles
- cut metal shapes and hung them on chains; perfectly balanced
- fish tails and lobster traps
- moved in the wind; expressed the energy of the universe
Joseph Stella, The Voice of the City:
- Duchamp came to New York, struck by the skyscrapers
- saw them as an emblem of the future
- Stella took this modern future view and painted it
- idea of constant light
- abstracted images of skyscrapers and beams of light
- middle panel flat iron building; border paintings are of broadway; far left Hudson river, far right
Brooklyn bridge
- tall panel in the middle with side panels = looks like altarpiece
- worshipping progress; science as the new religion
Georgia O’Keefe, Black Iris III:
- many believed American art was based in nature, not technology
- 3 ft. tall; magnification of nature leads to abstraction
- liked photography, and especially close up
- floral images suggest female genitalia
- later painted skyscrapers to prove she could paint what was typically a male subject
Grant Wood, American Gothic:
- New York became the central art hub
- in the midwest, a group of artists turned back to old styles; American regionalism (regional
flavour)
- not an actual portrait; idealized view of American pioneers that created America
- farmer and his unmarried daughter
- hardworking, God fearing original pioneers
- Carpenter gothic style house (gothic architecture made of wood); suggests religious belief
and medieval outlook
- pitchfork = hard work and defence

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
find more resources at oneclass.com March 28/ 2016 Art in Europe Between the World Wars, continued: Constantin Brancusi, Sleeping Muse and the Newborn: - wanted to simplify everything Sleeping Muse: - simplified oval head - nose - ears - lightly indicated eyes - sculpture The Newborn: - simple oval; suggests the idea of an egg - could be a head; wedge shape indicates nose - if newborn, could be a wide open crying mouth - Brancusi said this sculpture should always be on a low plinth, so we look down on it Brancusi, Bird in Space: - Romanian folk tales contain a magical golden bird - bird in flight; beak could be at one end, tail at the other - meant to be placed on a very high pedestal - simplified abstraction useful to influence 20th century sculpture - compares his creation of primal form to God’s creation of primal form North America Between the World Wars: - Nude descending a staircase was exhibited in America - many critics hated the show, but it brought new ideas from Europe Man Ray, Cadeau: - made sculptures following surrealist tradition; Dada - spent most of his life working in Paris - attaches a line of rails to an iron; made the iron useless —> becomes a work of art - unnerving; looks like a weapon Man Ray, Untitled: - also a photographer - came up with photogram; didn’t use comma, but put objects on photo paper and exposed it to light - slinky; drinking glass; block; smudge at top might be crumpled paper - exposed for less time = brighter - makes recognizable items flat and patternlike; Dada and surrealism find more resources at oneclass.com find more resources at oneclass.com Joan Miro, Painting: - european - tried to remove from the real world, but with subconscious associations - automatism; accessing the subconscious mind —> would cut piece out of catalogues (these in particular were machine parts) and toss them on the canvas. Traced around them, and then painted, outlined and filled to various degrees - Slightly biomorphic Alexander Calder, Lobster: - took Miro’s idea, but created mobiles - cut metal shapes and hung them on chains; perfectly balanced - fish tails and lobster traps - moved in the wind; expressed the energy of the universe Joseph Stella, The Voice of the City: - Duchamp came to New York, struck by the skyscrapers - saw them as an emblem of the future - Stella took this modern future view and painted it - idea of constant light - abstracted images of skyscrapers and beams of light - middle panel flat iron building; border paintings are of broadway; far left Hudson river, far right Brooklyn bridge - tall panel in the middle with side panels = looks like altarpiece - worshipping progress; science as the new religion Georgia O’Keefe, Black Iris III: - many believed American art was based in nature, not technology - 3 ft. tall; magnification of nature leads to abstraction - liked photography, and especially close up - floral images suggest female genitalia - later painted skyscrapers to prove she could paint what was typically a male subject Grant Wood, American Gothic: - New York became the central art hub - in the midwest, a group of artists turned back to old styles; American regionalism (regional flavour) - not an actual portrait; idealized view of American pioneers that created America - farmer and his unmarried daughter - hardworking, God fearing original pioneers - Carpenter gothic style house (gothic architecture made of wood); suggests religious belief and medieval outlook - pitchfork = hard work and defence find more resources at oneclass.com find more resources at oneclass.com - woman not looking at viewer; standing behind man, who is making eye contact - very close to the frame; intimidation and rigidity Edward Hopper, Nighthawks: - American regionalism even made its way to New York - painted scenes of the unexciting American city - people up late, getting coffee in a diner - they look very bored; woman looks like she’s looking at her nails - only ligh
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit