Class Notes (997,690)
CA (575,264)
StFX (936)
HKIN (120)
HKIN 241 (17)
Lecture 4

HKIN 241 Lecture 4: lecture 4 (one note)

3 Pages
Winter 2017

Department
Human Kinetics
Course Code
HKIN 241
Professor
Tara Sutherland
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Care & Prevent
Lecture 4
Legal:
Injury Prevention and Legal Liability:
In sports and recreation there are inherent risks
Assumption of risk-when one competes or partakes in sports they must assume some
risks, ut these ust e “oral “risks.
Coah’s Liability:
The coach must use reasonable care to avoid a foreseeable risk of harm to others.
Coah’s deisios ad atios at the tie of ijury are ritial to the welfare of the
athlete
Inappropriate decisions and or actions may jeopardize the injured athlete and lead
to legal action
Legal Term:
Tort- harm done to another for which the law holds the wrongdoer responsible
Negligence- Failure to do what a reasonably careful or prudent person would have done
under the same circumstances or conversely doing something that a reasonably care or
prudent person would not have done under the same or like circumstances
Negligence:
Act of commission acting in an improper way
Act of omission failure to act
Liability:
Is the state of being legally responsible for the harm one causes another person?
Law suits are usually measured against a standard of care
Standard of care: is defined what another minimally competent individual educated
and practising in that profession would have done in the same or similar
circumstances to protect the individual from harm or further harm
Potentially Negligent Actions:
Failure to provide competent
personnel
Failure to provide instruction
Failure to provide proper
equipment
Failure to warn
Failure to supervise
Failure to properly treat an
athlete
Selection participants
Good Samaritan Law:
Developed to protect citizens who voluntarily provide first aid to an injured person
Coaches and other school personnel due have a duty to provide care and would not be
covered under Good Samaritan Law
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Care Prevent Lecture 4 Legal: Injury Prevention and Legal Liability: In sports and recreation there are inherent risks Assumption of riskwhen one competes or partakes in sports they must assume some risks, but these must be normal risks. Coachs Liability: The coach must use reasonable care to avoid a foreseeable risk of harm to others. Coachs decisions and actions at the time of injury are critical to the welfare of the athlete Inappropriate decisions and or actions may jeopardize the injured athlete and lead to legal action Legal Term: Tort harm done to another for which the law holds the wrongdoer responsible Negligence Failure to do what a reasonably careful or prudent person would have done under the same circumstances or conversely doing something that a reasonably care or prudent person would not have done under the same or like circumstances Negligence: Act of commission acting in an improper way Act of omissio
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit