Winter 2016

Department
Religion
Course Code
REL 399
Professor
Ronald Charles
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
March 14
Black/ African Diaspora
TERMS
“Curse on Ham” Myth
“And Noah said ‘Cursed be Canaan! A slave of slaves, a slave to his brothers! Blessed be God,
the God of Shem, but Canaan shall be his slave. God prosper Japheth…But Canaan shall be his
slave” (Genesis 9:25-27).
Canaan: his dad is Noah, Noah cursed him.
Shem is blessed
-out of this text a lot has been said; what has been said has a racial connotation
-Canaan= black sheep, the black one of the family, he is going to be the slave of others, mean-
ing that the black one
=the Blacks are the slave of the slaves
Canaan= bad place, until god tells them to go and get this land and conquer it
-cursed and should be the slaves of others; even the slaves of slaves
-used by Christian slave owners to justify the slavery of Black peoples
-people of Israel are the Shamites
-because uncovered fathers nakedness (used to justify the state of Blacks in slavery);
biblical
-anything that is Black is not good
Fundamentalists
Looking at the fundamentals of
In religious studies= developed within Christianity, but used outside of it now
People who are extremists in their understanding of the faith. It is only their way of under-
standing. Their narrow understanding of the pillars of the faith.
If you are not with them, you are not Christian.
Take pleasure in calling themselves fundamentalists Christians
There is no grey area, its either you are with us or you are not a Christian at all
--This tradition has been spilled out in other religions as well, I.e., fundamentalist Islam
“We are going back to the fundamentals”, with what is at the core of the tradition.
Do not embrace modernity, they want to go to the forefathers
-cannot separate yourself from modernity and technology though (contradictions)
-can be extremely violent (we don’t like what’s going on today)
Gospel Music
A twentieth-century expression of the Black theological dynamic. Its roots go back to the spiri-
tuals and the blues.
Cannot talk about diaspora without mentioning gospel music as a genre.
In the USA, many Blacks have found solace in religion and singing.
A way to talk about their suffering but they are using music as a way of expression.
Profound, sad but also joyus.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
March 14 Black African Diaspora TERMS Curse on Ham Myth And Noah said Cursed be Canaan! A slave of slaves, a slave to his brothers! Blessed be God, the God of Shem, but Canaan shall be his slave. God prosper JaphethBut Canaan shall be his slave (Genesis 9:2527). Canaan: his dad is Noah, Noah cursed him. Shem is blessed out of this text a lot has been said; what has been said has a racial connotation Canaan= black sheep, the black one of the family, he is going to be the slave of others, mean ing that the black one =the Blacks are the slave of the slaves Canaan= bad place, until god tells them to go and get this land and conquer it cursed and should be the slaves of others; even the slaves of slaves used by Christian slave owners to justify the slavery of Black peoples people of Israel are the Shamites because uncovered fathers nakedness (used to justify the state of Blacks in slavery); biblical anything that is Black is not good Fundamentalists Looking at the fundamentals of In religious studies= d
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit