BIOL 1020 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Genetic Drift, Genetic Variation, Speciation

38 views3 pages
26 Jan 2015
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Change in allele frequencies in a population over generations. Heritable traits that increase their survival & reproduce more offspring. Chance events can cause allele frequencies to fluctuate from one generation to the next, especially in small populations. Darwin"s theory of natural selection + mendelian theory of heredity (aka. Key concept 1 genetic variation is a pre-requisite for evolution. Using pea plants, he discovered genetics: the nature of genetic variation. Individuals fall into a number of distinct classes or categories. (i. e. blood group) Complete range of measurements from one extreme to the other (i. e. height) Differences among individuals in the composition of their genes or other dna segments. Physical trait of an organism of a product due to genotype and environmental influences. Only genetically determined (heritable) part of phenotypic variation can have evolutionary consequences. Environmental variation (i. e. caterpillar raised on oak flower vs. on an oak twigs: genetic variation within and between populations.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers