3/22/2013 2:24:00 PM
1) No matter how much we try and understand about others, we can never
completely understand them.
- We are given insight that he cannot communicate.
Function of dreams
- He wants equality, but cant express it because of language barriers
- Shows the common human needs and desires that everyone has
- We use seperate languages and borders ( be them prov. Or national ) as
artificial barriers between us
- The ways in which we are alone and the ways in which we share
- Try and divide the motiviations of others
I think thre are asome motivations we can gradually pull out of this play tht
are not expaciest
Why study a different language?
- Changes the way in which you comprehend the world
- Break down the laws between cultures
- Helps with translating
2) Kitty Wells song
- Sung in a condescending manner
condescending understanding of the situation
Emphasizes cultural blindness
Lays out the story and is as tory that we can understand
3) Michrocasm from the rest of Canada, we live in a disconnected world.
Why is owen so disconnected with his kids, his bad relationship with his
parents? He puts it in terms of the United states – probably one of the most
formative experiences for him was coming home and finding that his parents
had put everything he owned outside his door and wouldn’t even talk to him.
-He doesn’t carea about what goes on in his kids lives
They don’t care about what he has experienced
A real alck of connection
We have stbalished that part of Owen, where he is coming from, is
a dysfunctional family – a lack of support a