by OneClass62557 , Fall 2012
4 Pages

Department
Management
Course Code
MGT 2070
Professor
Barry Stannard

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
MGT 2070: Operations Management September 5, 2012
Chapter 1: Intro to Operations Management
Operations management: management of processes and the systems that create G & S.
o System: set of interrelated parts that must work together
o Process: series of linked actions, changes, or functions bringing about a result
3 types
Core directly creates products/services
Support processes support core processes
Managerial processes govern the system
A typical organization has three basic functions
o Operations
Inputs are used to obtain finished goods or services using one or more
transformation/conversion processes
Essence of operations function is to add value during the transformation process
Value added: describes the difference between the cost of inputs and the
value of outputs
o Finance
Provision of funds
Economic analysis of investment proposals
o Marketing
Responsible for assessing customer wants and needs, and for communicating those
needs and feedback to operations people and to product design people
Lead time: the time between ordering a good/service and receiving it
Marketing needs this from operations in order to give customers realistic
estimated of how long it will take to fill orders.
o Other functions
Accounting
Operations provide relevant data
Accounting provides financial analysis for performance and decisions
Management information systems (MIS)
Operations provide understanding of infrastructural and system needs
MIS provides systems for planning and control, and improvement
Purchasing
Human resources management
Operations provides understanding of human resource needs
HR provides recruitment development and training
Manufacturing engineering
Operations provides understanding of process technology needs
Engineering provides analysis of new technology options
Maintenance
Product Design

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
MGT 2070: Operations Management September 5, 2012 Chapter 1: Intro to Operations Management  Operations management: management of processes and the systems that create G & S. o System: set of interrelated parts that must work together o Process: series of linked actions, changes, or functions bringing about a result  3 types  Core directly creates products/services  Support processes support core processes  Managerial processes govern the system  A typical organization has three basic functions o Operations  Inputs are used to obtain finished goods or services using one or more transformation/conversion processes  Essence of operations function is to add value during the transformation process  Value added: describes the difference between the cost of inputs and the value of outputs o Finance  Provision of funds  Economic analysis of investment proposals o Marketing  Responsible for assessing customer wants and needs, and for communicating those needs and feedback to operations people and to product design people  Lead time: the time between ordering a good/service and receiving it  Marketing needs this from operations in order to give customers realistic estimated of how long it will take to fill orders. o Other functions  Accounting  Operations provide relevant data  Accounting provides financial analysis for performance and decisions  Management information systems (MIS)  Operations provide understanding of infrastructural and system needs  MIS provides systems for planning and control, and improvement  Purchasing  Human resources management  Operations provides understanding of human resource needs  HR provides recruitment development and training  Manufacturing engineering  Operations provides understanding of process technology needs  Engineering provides analysis of new technology options  Maintenance  Product Design MGT 2070: Operations Management September 5, 2012  Operations provides understanding of capabilities and constraints of operations processes  Product design provides new product/service ideas  Logistics  An operations manager must coordinate the use of resources through the management activities of planning, organizing, directing, and controlling. o Chief role is that of a decision maker o Exerts influence over the degree to which the goals/objectives of the org. are met.  Model: abstraction of reality. A simplified representation of something. o Ignore unimportant details so that attention can be concentrated on the most important aspects of the situation, thus increasing the opportunity to understand a problem and its solution.  Pareto phenomenon: some things will be very important for achieving an objective and other things will not  Craft production: system in which highly skilled workers use simple, flexible tools to produce small quantities of customized goods o Slow and costly o Production costs do not decrease as volume increases  Industrial revolution made possible… o Division of labour: breaking up a production process into small tasks so that each worker performs a small portion of the overall job  Virtually no skill is required o Interchangeable parts: parts of a product made to such precision that they do not have to be custom fitted  Decrease in assembly time and cost  Scientific management o Based on observation, measurement, analysis, and improvement of work methods, and economic incentives. o Maximizes output o Moving assembly line o Mass production: systems in which lower skilled workers use specialized machinery to produce high volumes of standardized goods  Human re
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit