Oct. 1 – History III
Changes in Instrumental music : mid-century
• Music that is easy to follow
• Enlighten and entertain audiences
• Musical values which emerged in opera filtered into instrumental
• New style (easier to understand) = popularity
Instrumental music used to be tied to vocal.
Vocal being the most important.
Opera was the prestigious form.
Opera style is adopted into instrumental.
Instrumental forms become independent from opera:
• Symphony: grows out of sinfonia, operatic overture. It shifts in values
Genres of the 18 century:
• String quartet
• Sonata (keyboard/violin)
Music making – in the upper/middle classes music was being made at home.
• Chamber music: social gathering (playing string quartet)
• Instrumental music becomes important in home music making (keyboard, strings)
• Fortepiano became the domestic instrument.
Solo keyboard music:
• Fortepiano: hammer action, control velocity, control dynamics, expressive capabilities
o 1760 wide spread acceptance over harpsichord brought on the rise of keyboard
String quartet: (violin, viola, cello)
• Primary string instruments • Rise in amateur musicians
• Rise in public concerts
• Increasing social aspect of home music making
• Comes from Baroque so