Music
Course
MUSI 3380
Professor
Paul Sanden
Semester
Fall

Description
th Sept. 17 – History III Arcadian Academy: Pietro Metastasio (1698 – 1782) • Wrote libretti and set libretti • Addressed social concerns • Wrote very well for music (rhythmic patterns that were easily set) • Very popular among composers and the public • Standardized form of opera seria o Liaison de scene:  Symmetry #entrances = #exits  Start with 1 or 2 characters  Add characters with different scenes and action  Characters on stage decrease with exit arias  Last on on stage is liaison de scene (main character) • 3 acts: story as it unfolds st o 1 act: exposition of the problem o 2 act: development of central conflict (very few subplots) rd o 3 act: resolution of conflict • Numbers Opera: very organized o Sing, cadence, stop, sing • Opera seria was all sung, dialogue in recitative • Metatstasio wrote lots of da capo arias: ABA o 2 stanzas of 4 lines • Discussed morality in his operas: heavily influenced by moral philosophies of Renee Descartes. “I think therefore I a
More Less

Related notes for MUSI 3380

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit