February 13, 2014 – History
Italian opera: highly conventional in order to produce them quickly. Rossini is the leader of these
Barber of Seville: prequel to Figaro (early passionate courtship of the count and Rossina) Want
to court her without influencing her with his money, in disguise as a student. The count outwits
Dr. Bartello and marries Rossina.
• Cavatina/Aria di Sortita: Entrance aria, double aria. Opening aria of a main character. 3
o Cantabile/ Tempo Primo: Start with a lyrical opening (demanding for the singer –
florid sections and ornamentation),
o (optional sections) Tempo di mezzo – Interruption (something happens to the
idea that was presented in the first section) Change
o Cabaletta – Faster, fireworks, meant to bring the house down!
Duet or Ensemble, also have choral interjections.
• Tempo d’attacco: sets things up, series of dialogues going back and forth
• Pezzo concertato: more lyrical and regular, similar duet: they sing to the same melody.
Dissimilar duet: one person sings one way while the other sings the other way
• Tempo di mezzo: dramatic situation changes,
• Stretta: much faster, crazy fireworks,
p. 130 Quintet in the Barber of Seville: its built from a duet -> Trio - > Quartet -> Quintet
o Parlante: melody is in the orchestra with recitative speaking in