- Ian Waterman
○ When he was eighteen, working as butcher, cut his finger. Finger got red, got fatigued,
had trouble walking,couldn't get out of bed, no one knew what to do
Healthyyoung man, lost the compete abilityto do anything
Learned to walk, learned to drivea car
One of the things, that he lost, was the dorsal root ganglion,got a virusthat killed
□ Couldn't have any feedback from joints or musclesor anything
□ Largelyrecovered via looking at his joints
Everything was done with vision.
- Jonathon Cole
○ Wrote a book (Pride and a Daily Marathon)
○ 10 cases of this condition around the world
○ B6 poisoning
Wipesout the dorsal root ganglioncells
Proprioception = the body's eyes.
Hapsis - not only touch, but being touched
- When he was stimulating the brain, the somatosensory cortex, people would report
sensations from mouth and face, head, body,
- Somatosensory homunculus
The densityof receptors on the body relate to the area of the sensory cortex givento a body part.
- Rodents have a representation of their vibrissaeinsensory cortex
- Look at glucose utilization in the barrels, and only one is being used
- Map of whiskersin the brain, in this way
John H. Kaas
- There isn't an entire homunculus
- There is for muscles, skin(slow), skin fast) and joints/pressure.