4/4/2013 8:49:00 AM
- Levesque vs. Trudeau – The Media loves a face and a personality
- Television turns politics into the face of leaders
- The PM says in the battle of champions – “I” was the champion that won” –
Harper beat “Ignatief” not “conservatives beat the liberals”
- If the leader lost it’s your fault.
- Say your cabinet was elected because of the leader.
- PM’s don’t have to many showdowns with their cabinet – but when they do
he says it was because of his leadership
- PM is the central player in the house of commons – directly or indirectly he
controls much of the agenda of what happens – can always stand up to
intervene in speeches. The first questions in question period are always
directed to him
- Can always decide who in his canibet will answer questions on which topic
- The PM can direct someone else to answer questions for you, or answer
- The PM makes an enourmous number of appointments – we like to think
that patronage is not as big as it used to be… but we’re not better at all.
- The PM makes hundreds of appointments & most of them are party linked.
- Someone keeps the party books – like who the party owes favors to – the
- Rewarding people for faithful party service in the past (Service to leader)
and encouragins service in thefuture
The senate is not even 1 percent of what the PM passes around
- 100 bucks a month doesn’t seem to raise the same kind of ethical
challenge – even though it actually does
- If it is attractive to some people and he can give it away, he stil has power
- Also names the deputy minister – the public service head of the computer
– basically always a one on one, one minister for the department , and one
deputy minister – relationship tres important – you would think that the
cabinet minister would get to take their deputy minister with them places –
not necessarily – because you have to listen to the PM
So PM can shuffle deputy ministers AND ministers.
- PM is the access point to the governor general – that minor matter of if
and when you call elections - Not a cabinet decision, not even a pretend cabinet decision of if and when
you call an election – cabine tministers could be surpirised by an election call
( not normally)
- Look up Pro-regation
- Majoir actor for Canada on the International stage
- So when the PM goes abroad he is suddenly Canada – opposition leaders
try and get a little bit of that sunshine if they can.
- When Joe Clark becalme leader of the conservative party, his first few
monthas were embarrassing , Joe Clark made the decision to travel
-“what is the totality of your holdings “
they lost his suitcase
- Some of what you have to go through to try and get some of the attention.
- That’s why H