Sociology 1000 Lecture Notes - Lecture 8: Psychopharmacology, Reality Principle, Skipping Rope

20 views2 pages
6 Dec 2016
School
Department
Professor

Document Summary

Process by which we learn out culture. Learning the skills and habits necessary for participating within a culture or society. We would not be who we are without socialization. A sense of self, or a self-image. One episode in a life long process. Id- part of the self that demands immediate gratification: sigmund freud. Superego- the repository of cultural standards( i. e. , right and wrong. Ego- balances competing interests of id and superego. When we supress our id is can be painful, frustrating, and traumatic. Theory behind psychoanalysis conflict between id and superego. Now there is a emphasis on medication/drugs (psychopharmacology) Driven by market forces: cooley and mead. Who you think are is based on how you think others judge you. E. g. , when people smile at you, some people may think they are attractive, other may think they are being laughed at. Mead took up and developed this idea. The i(cid:894)i. e. , i(cid:373)pulsi(cid:448)e (cid:374)eeds(cid:895) a(cid:374)d the (cid:862)me(cid:863)(cid:894)i. e. , so(cid:272)ial (cid:272)o(cid:373)po(cid:374)e(cid:374)t(cid:895)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers