Oct 22/12: Origins of Domestication
Abu Hureyra (Syria)
- The revolution of domesticationhad physical effects on the first people
○ Living was very laborious (i.e. on hands and knees grinding grain into flour). This has
impacts on parts of the anatomy.
- Lack certain nutrients (they are not creating enough variety/plants to get all the proper
- Cultural revolutioncame at a cost which is in the relative health of these populations
Advantages of Domestication?
- Production of a surplus
- Reliable food supply
- Becoming more sedentary (?)
○ There can also be disadvantages to being sedentary.
Overuse of soil
Sanitation issues (spread of diseases)
May become very labour intensive to keep safe
- Supports larger populations (?)
○ There can also be disadvantages to having a larger population.
More conflict (need moreresources)