Sep 14/12: Natural Selection/ Human Evolution
7:42 AM Sep 14, 20...
- How do parents pass on their characteristics (mendell first to experience this)
- Where does the variation comefrom?
2 long chains of nucleotides are linked to bases
Chromosomesare very long chains of nucleotides
Humans have 46 chromosomesOR 23 pairs (23 from one parent and 23 from the other)
23rd pair decides whether someoneis going to be male or female
Cparents chromosomesare copied and carried in an egg
How do we make copies?
- Chromosomesmust duplicate themselves.
○ 2 sides will separate
○ After seperation each strand will be copied
○ This is the beginning of separation
- When the two sides separate, sometimesone of the nucleotides could break off from the chain
Neutral - the new allele will not affect the individuals chances of surviving
Ex. There is no negative implication from having blood type A instead of O