AUIDS 276 Lecture Notes - Lecture 13: Ducks Unlimited, Vulpes, Bird Migration

42 views13 pages
Natasha Chido Mutize
CSL 360: Property Visit Logs
Deliverable
Visit 1: Familiarize oneself with the property and animal identification
Weather condition Slightly sunny,-2°C
Time - 8am -11:30 am 28 February, 2018 (3.5hrs)
I drove down to the property with the intentions of identifying some birds and possibly
mammals. I familiarised myself with the location and identified the property boundaries. I
immediately started perusing sightings and I identified a birds. A magpie was scavenging on the
carcass of a snowshoe hare and served as evidence that snowshoe hares were present property or
might have habitats close to the property. I walked along the perimeter of the property and heard
bird chirping sounds from bushy banks, filled with spruce trees. Based on my bird identification
class, that focused on identifying birds, based on coat color and pattern, stem colors and length,
beak size and shape and sound, I was able to identify the chirping sounds as that of chickadees.
The brownish color pattern and the size made me conclude that the birds were mountain
chickadees. After spending 3.5 hours on the property. I identified the following:
American Crows
Black-billed magpies
Chickadees spruce on the perimeter of the pond
Snowshoe hare
Visit 2: Animal identification
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-3 of the document.
Unlock all 13 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
Weather: Sunny, partly cloudy skies,
Time: 12pm 5pm, 9 March, 2018 (5hrs)
Arrived at the property and immediately started looking for animals tracks. The depth of the
snow made it easy to clearly identify the imprints, Birds were scarce. Walked around the
property for about 3 hours hoping to find a variety of animal prints. I looked for indicators of
animal presence as animal scat, feeding signs, claw marks, sightings, and tracks. Using the
online guides I initiated the process of animal print identification which took the last 2 hours.
Unlock document

Snowshoe hare, Lepus americanus
Dog foot prints
Moose Alces alces
Unlock document

Document Summary

Visit 1: familiarize oneself with the property and animal identification. Time - 8am -11:30 am 28 february, 2018 (3. 5hrs) I drove down to the property with the intentions of identifying some birds and possibly mammals. I familiarised myself with the location and identified the property boundaries. I immediately started perusing sightings and i identified a birds. A magpie was scavenging on the carcass of a snowshoe hare and served as evidence that snowshoe hares were present property or might have habitats close to the property. I walked along the perimeter of the property and heard bird chirping sounds from bushy banks, filled with spruce trees. Based on my bird identification class, that focused on identifying birds, based on coat color and pattern, stem colors and length, beak size and shape and sound, i was able to identify the chirping sounds as that of chickadees. The brownish color pattern and the size made me conclude that the birds were mountain chickadees.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers