BIOL 208 (February 5, 2014)
o Really complicated to classify as such
Due to: when we describe populations, we talk about density and
• Extensive or narrow geographical range
o Narrow? Rare in a sense that it is not globally dist.
• Population Density
o Can be considered rare because of low population
density EVEN though they may be globally distributed
Many aspects (kinds) of rarity
• You may be one of them, none of them, or a combination of
• Canada’s Species at Risk Act
o ID or species, and plan protection/recovery
o Committee on status of endangered wildlife recomm.
o Minister of Environment Lists
o By April 2006, COESWIC evaluated 727 species
73% recommended for listing
Only 389 listed (approved by Ministers of Environment)
• There is a bias of listing
o Marine and northern species are biased against
Fishes listed usually are a part of the fishing
• Metapopulations o Complex network of movement/residency with important conseq. For
species abundances, extinctions, and gene flow.
o Essential points:
Population of subpopulat