1. You should understand the concept of intellectual property generally and be able to
distinguish the major categories of intellectual property and the law that applies to each.
2. You should understand the purpose of the Patent act and when it is available for use to
protect patent rights.
3. You should understand the basics of the application process and the rights conferred on
the patent holder by the Act. You should also have a basic understanding of the effect of
International Law on patent rights (or the effect of its absence).
4. You should understand the duties and obligations of the patent holder.
5. You should understand the basics of a law suit for patent infringement and the
6. You should understand the definition of a trademark and the various categories
protected under the Trademarks Act.
7. You should understand the basics of an application for registration and the protection
granted. You should be familiar with the danger of a trademark being or becoming
8. You should understand the rights granted by registration and the actions available to
protect against infringeme