Geography Powerful city-states expanded to control much of
Government Babylon built a large empire in the Fertile Crescent.
Government Hammurabi created one of the first codes of law.
The First Empire Builders
ESSENTIAL QUESTION Who controlled Mesopotamia?
Sargon Builds an Empire
• Sumerian city-state kings fought over land from 3000 B.C.000
• Sargon of Akkad was powerful leader, creator of worldʼs first empire
- took over northern and southern Mesopotamia around B.C.
- empire—many different peoples, lands controlled by one ruler (emperor)
The Akkadian Empire
• Sargonʼs empire was called Akkadian Empire
- included Fertile Crescent—lands from Mediterranean Sea to Persian Gulf
- was known for rich soil, water, and good farming
• Sargonʼs conquests spread Akkadian ideas, culture, writing system
• Empires encourage trade and may bring peace to their peoples
- peoples of several cultures share ideas, technology, customs
How do empires change the lives of people who live in them?
Chapter 4: Early Empires World History: An2ient Civilizations
The Babylonian Empire
ESSENTIAL QUESTION Which empires ruled the Fertile Crescent?
• Akkadian Empire lasted about 200 years
• Amorites invaded Sumer about 20B.C, chose Babylon as capital
• Hammurabi—powerful Amorite king who ruled from 1792 to 175B.C.
- extended empire across Mesopotamia, Fertile Crescent
- appointed governors, tax collectors, judges to control lands
- watched over agriculture, trade, construction