HIST 261: Canada and the Empire 1
Canada and the Empire
January 24th 2014
● 19th century liberal, interested in free trade, but didn’t do much to end the protective tariffs.
● Crow’s Nest Pass rate, lowered rates on CPR on wheat from the west, and manufactured
goods from the east, and CPR received the subsides.
● Unwilling to change trade tariffs for US, but in 1897, lowered tariffs on goods from the empire
● Laurier believe the empire was good for the world. Britain would use Queen Victoria’s 60 years
on the throne to tie the dominions closer to the Empire in hopes of strengthening support for
Britain as germans army was growing rapidly (An Imperial Federation)
○ caused a divide between imperialist and nationalists.
● There was a lot of support for the imperial cause, particularly in English Canada, but nationalists
want to protect Canada’s sovereignty
Boer War (1899)
● British went to war against the Dutch Africans in South Africa. There had been a lot of Tension
between the Boers and the British colonist.
● A major mineral discover in Boer territory attracted thousand of miners. The Boers refused to
allow these British miners to vote, and taxed them heavily.
● The British thought they would easily get their way, but the Boer knew the land better, and
practised Guerilla Warfare. Britain asked for troops from the empire.
● French Canada sympathized with the Boers, for they too were an isolated farming community
trying to keep their culture in the face of an oppressive super power
● Laurier offered 1000 volunteers, Britain would have to pay for them though. Neither Imperialist
or Nationalist would be happy with it. Nationalist Henri Bourassa