RELIGIOUS STUDIES 101B Lecture Notes April 4
RELIGION & POLITICS
- religion is often thought of as a social dinosaur
- often the media makes it look like Islam is the only group
experiencing religious revival. but many groups have.
- meiji nationalism of shinto
- confucianism regularly made state religion
- communism banned religion
- sepoy mutiny
- Sri Lanka - tamil uprising. theravada majority elected monks
to govt in response to keep tamil's down.
- operation blue star, 1984. sikh uprising. assasination of pm.
- modern phenomenon
- reaction against secularism and modernity and its values
- reaction against locating ultimate authority in human
institutions rather than divine scriptures or religious leaders
- term came from the USA during early 19C, production of
booklets in 1910 called The Fundamentals. affirmed the inerrancy
and infallibility of the bible.
- scripture over science
- fundamentalism is not just orthodoxy, it is orthopraxy -
- often militant
- fight back against people who do not conform: homosexuals,
abortion doctors, sub/altercultures, atheists, other religions. - eschatological
- the use of the term or category started in the USA but since
the 70s, the category has extended beyond the american christian
realm. ie hindu nationalism, radical islam, etc
- scientific progress, bio research, medical technologies etc
gives people more ability to make life or death decisions.
meddles with beliefs that consider human life sacred.
- ie in islam, god and the family decide. they don't consider
abstract issues, they go case by case basis. more recently this
attitude has not been seen as adequate, especially with
euthenasia and who makes the final decision.
- eastern traditions differ a lot from this western view of
sacred human life. textbook suggests that we haven't seen the
religious fall out in eastern trads cause the technology hasnt
become widely available until very recently. but if we consider
abortion, it is a big contention in india, japan, and korea. for
buddhists, abortion is very violent. it is not ahimsa.
- in east, gender is a huge problem because of the dowry (even
though it is condemned by leaders and illegal).
- upon marriage, the family loses a daughter and tons of money.
- traditionally, genesis was inter