RELIGIOUS STUDIES 101B Lecture Notes March 7
CHINESE TRADITIONS CONTINUED
- popular religions are syncretic. not just folk and popular
traditions though, as some scholars claim, it is also elite trads
- there are elite traditions, daoism, confucision, and buddhism,
that are syncretic too, sharing a lot of ideas.
- many lay people seek help from specialists who belong to
- chinese traditions are known for their commitment to
over and above right beliefs
RIGHT ACTIONS are expressed through the maintenance of
all three elite trads talk about people having different
personalities, allowing for a great deal of fluidity
BACKGROUND CHINESE HISTORY
- chinese was first modern state with centralized govt
- first ones to write history
- dynasties ruled by emperors hereditary.
- shang zhou warring states period qin han three kingdoms period
sui tang song yuan (mongols) ming manchu/qing
- mandate of heavan, zhou invented to get rid of shang.
- described mandate from before the shang (who didn't have a
concept of heaven)
- mandate goes to the ruler who behaves in an upright way,
according to confucious. - qin (chin) is where the name china came from
- confucious philosophy became the phil for everything. it is
about knowing your place in hierarchy.
- five key relationships, most important is between father and
son: filial piety.
- the goal is to be a superior man. if all strive for this, the
society will run smoothly
first dynasty is a fiction confucious made up. YU the ENGINEER.
the SAGE EMPERORS.
ren is propriety
lee is ritual (mostly veneration of ancestors)
trad chinese historians wrote history with rulers being good
confucians. you had to be a good confucian to be a good ruler
for that reason.