Chapter 6 questions.
1) What is encoding specificity?
2) In Tulving and Thomason experiment Participants were presented with weakly
associated cuetarget pairs (e.g., plantBUG, groundCOLD). Their ability to
recall and recognize the target word in each pair was tested in multiple contexts.
What did the result show?
3) In Godden and baddley study, Participants are presented with a list of words 18 to
remember in different context (land, water). They are later given a free recall test
in different context (land or water). What was the result?
4) In Grand et. Al experiment, Participants were given an academic journal article to
read and given headphone with no music or cafeteria noise. They were later given
a series of shortanswer comprehension questions to complete under different
context (noise/no noise). What was result?
5) What is Statedependent memory?
6) In study where Participants were given a list of words to remember (while they
were either made to have happy or sad mood (emotions were manipulated) while
lichening to different music). When they tried to freerecall the words presented
after 2 week what was the result?
7) What is semantic memory?
8) What is episodic memory?
9) What problems did WJ had?
10)When WJ was presented with cue words, and had to recall events from their past
relevant to the cue, and date the events what did this result show? Who did this
compare to the normal group?
11) What is infantile amnesia? And what age is this particularly seen in child?
12)In one experiemtn where 18year old participants were given a series of cue
words and asked if the cue spontaneously brought to mind any memories of past
events. If so, participants elaborated on the details of the event and dated it. What
was the results?
13)In experiement where Participants had younger siblings and were asked a series of
questions about the birth event (who took care of you, how long was mother in
hospital, did the baby receive presents) and their Performance compared to
mother’s. what did the result showed?
14) What happens when, as older adults, we try to recollect as many events from our
past as possible? What is the name when results are plotted for this? What
particular age do we remember the most?
15) What is the selfimage theory? What does this theory try to explain?
16) When participants were asked to completed a series of “I am _____” statements
they felt defined themselves as individuals and to recall events from their life that
were connected with the statement what time period do these I am statement
happen? This is used to explain what?
17) What is The StabilityInstability Hypothesis? What does it try to explain?
18)When older adult immigrants were given a cues and told to recollect a detail from
their life brought to mind by the cue what kind of bump do we see? Where?
19) 6(2): what is procedural memory?
20) What did HM have? Hoes does HM relate to the study of procedural memory?
How as this tested? Chapter 6 questions.
21)What structure plays an important role in formation of new semantic and episodic
22)What are implicit memories? What kind of memories does it occur with?
23) What test is used to study implicit memories?
24) What is priming?
25) What is the relationship between Anterograde amnesiacs like HM and implicit
26) How does the word stem completion task show implicit memory?
27) When anterograde amnesiacs and healthy controls were given words to memorize
and then recalled using different retrieval methods such as free recall, cued recall,
or stem completion. What was the result in each condition on the % correct
responses? What does this mean?
28) Are amnesiacs patient like HM able to acquire memory other then procedural? If
so what kind?
29) What is semantic memory? University students use what kind?
30) What memory guides our attention to detailed events? Explain with example
31) what is the tip of the tongue phenomenon?
32)In tipofthetongue cases, participants are often able to retrieve what kind of
information despite the fact that they can’t remember the exact word?
33)What are some other things we observe in In tipofthetongue cases?
34) What is The Teachable Language Co