RELIGIOUS STUDIES 200
BRUCE LINCOLN THESES continued
5. Reverence is a religious and not a scholarly virtue.
6. there is no cultural relativism in scholarship/the academy
7. "cultures" should not be made a fetish. they are not unified wholes... if you asked
the pope or a Jehovah's Witness or a latin grandma what catholocism is, you would get
very different answers.
8. do not mistake the dominant group's view of their religion with the polyvalent
actualizations of their religion. the person the scholar privileges as their informant
often have their views constituted as thee view of a religion.
9. biases leak into scholarly models / discourses
JUMP OVER TO MCCUTCHEON
RUSSELL T. McCUTCHEON
- writes on theories of myth and ritual, politics of classification, soc of relig, the
hist. of the concept "religion," and the hist. of the acadmic study of religion.
basically he just studies scholars who study religion. he studies the way people think
about myth and religion. HERMENEUTIC.
he makes a distinction between
STUDY OF RELIGION
Phonemic: meaningful sound to a speaker of a language.
- insider viewpoint
Phonetic: system for representing any meaningful sound in any language.
- outsider viewpoint
*will be on test
think "m" for me, and "t" for tous.
So Smith's analysis of the brahmans that was so abrasive was accused of ignoring the
McCutcheon says it is pretty much impossible to find an insider view point in the
first place, because people doing what they do do no