RELIGIOUS STUDIES 200
*see class notes for Monday's class (you had CJSR Fundrive show)
BASE & SUPERSTRUCTURE
material concerns: economics
dictated by the base.
- family, govt, art, philosophy, ethics, religion. not only arise from the economic
base but are shaped by it.
"the ideas of the ruling class are in every epoch the ruling ideas"
- these things are provided to give a palliative release from the tensions built up by
the economic base (capitalism). sports, art, religion, etc.
like the romans: give them bread and give them entertainment and the people will let
you do what you want.
- built around this notion of control: the rich staying rich and the poor staying poor
- not conscious oppression by religion, we just naturally replicate these things
because we are born into them and adapted to them
- morality too comes into play. even though truths are projected as eternal and
transhistorical, for marx they are about the now and reifying social relations as they
- he called this IDEOLOGY
marx's meaning for IDEOLOGY is different than the way we use it. for marx it is the
output of the social relations which produce ideology.
WHEN IDEOLOGY AND NEUROSIS SHOW UP ON A TEST, IT IS MEANT AS MARX'S DEF. AND FREUD'S
The thinkers are always servants of the rulers.
Religion is illusion and an extreme example of "ideology"
Docrines are irrelevant - religion is dependent only on the shape of the social life
as determined by the material forces in control of it at any given time or place.
- relig is no different than art or politics
- in some instances it was the most extreme example of IDEOLOGY. its c