Week 1: January 6, 8, 10 – Introduction
• Chapter 1 – Introduction to Sociology (page 213)
• Video: Chaplin, Modern Times http://bit.ly/19ajQ3H
• Video: “La Surconsommation” [Overconsumption] http://bit.ly/1auftej
Week 1: Lecture 2
• What societal conditions produce terrorism?
o Terrorism, criminality, poverty, and other social problems in society
• Red Pil : Pursuit of the truth (the terrorism causes are complex)
• Blue Pi : Ignorance is bliss (Pierre Poilievre: “The root cause of terrorism is
Chaplin, Modern Times
• Industry, individual enterprise
• Workers are similar to a herd of sheep
• President is doing a puzzle ▯keeps video calling to speed up. The workers are
working as fast as they can. Can’t even take a break without being harassed to get
back to work.
• Machine that feeds the workers to eliminate lunch hours ▯Billows Feeding