ANTH 331 Lecture 9: Movie Notes - Being Me

106 views1 pages
11 May 2017
Department
Course
Professor

For unlimited access to Class Notes, a Class+ subscription is required.

Movie Notes: Being Me
We will meet 3 Australians and learn about their stories in the movie:
1. Isabelle: a young girl (11 years old). Isabelle was born into a male body, but as a toddler has always
identified as a girl
2. Paige Elliott Phoenix: Paige was born into a female body, but identifies as a female-to-male
transsexual ; a trans-man
3. Jamie: Jamie is an adolescent girl; she was born into a male body, but from an early age has always
identified as a girl. As discussed in the film, until recently children in Australia who required
puberty/hormone blocking drugs, needed court approval to access the drugs. Jamie’s family fought this
requirement in court.
**Note you do not need to know about “Gillick Competency”; a term that comes up in Jamie’s
story about dealing with the Australian court system.
A note about terms: the movie uses the terms transsexual and transgender interchangeably. As per
Jesse Invik’s guest lecture and our lecture today, we have defined them separately. The separate
definitions will stand. Which means in any test question from the movie, I will not use the term
transsexual or transgender. In test questions from outside of the movie (e.g. class & Jesse Invik’s
lecture), I will use the terms as defined/ discussed in Jesse Invik’s lecture and our class lecture.
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 1 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Get access

Grade+
$10 USD/m
Billed $120 USD annually
Homework Help
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
40 Verified Answers
Study Guides
1 Booster Class
Class+