COMS 371 - Foucault - Culture Jamming.docx

2 Pages

Department
Communications Studies
Course Code
COMS 371
Professor
Delia Dumitrica

This preview shows 80% of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Description
COMS 371 – October 29, 2013 Today: Culture Jamming, Foucault, talk about the upcoming quiz Culture Jamming Project How are the contestants in the Next Top Model show depicted? What details are emphasized? Why are the depictions problematic? - Models are depicted by a horse race Foucault continued - 3 ways through which subjects are being created (modes of objectification) - How we become our own objects o Scientific knowledge (rationalization of society)  i.e. Medicine – form of knowledge that transforms us into bodies – discourse becomes about healthy/sick  i.e. Pink nursery vs. Blue nursery – form of knowledge that is based on reproductive anatomy – translated into social norms o Dividing practices o Working on our own selves (recognizing ourselves as subjects of sexuality, health, nation-states, etc.) The Modern State Pastoral power then admit them to God and your priest - Oriented towards salvation
More Less
Unlock Document

Only 80% of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit