COMS 401 - Fandom.docx

2 Pages

Department
Communications Studies
Course Code
COMS 401
Professor
Angie Chiang

This preview shows 80% of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Description
Fandom Fan Texts How has digital convergence affected how media is produced? - How fan-made paratexts can be a part of the core text - South Park (S10E08) “Make Love not Warcraft” o MMO – Massively Multiplayer Online Game o MMORPG – Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game o “I AM socializing with my friends” o Online world blended with the real world – the online world becomes real to the group o Transmedia – draws in the World of Warcraft crowd as well as South Park crowd o The parody both mocks and praises the WoW stereotype - Writers’ strike in Hollywood (2007 – 2008) o “Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog” – traditional narrative, part blog, part TV, part movie Textual Poaching - Michel de Certeau’s term “borrowing” texts and rewriting and reinterpreting them - To engage with the text, to transform it, is in some instances to liberate and rescue a text by providing an alternate or variant readings and thus forming new texts - Providing commentary and critique in addition to supplementing the story - Example: Wicked, The Great and Powerful Oz – they all change the context of the story Folk Culture (Pop Culture) - Authentic home-grown culture that brings in the long-standing traditions o People telling stories over generations Fandom - Fans are the most a
More Less
Unlock Document

Only 80% of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit