COMS 401 – November 18, 2013
YouTube is an aggregator of content, not a content creator. – It’s a network of media that
differs from cultural production – it’s the networking/joining of created content and distribution.
- You can’t classify the audience of YouTube
- Combination of amateur and professional content – signals the creation of the amateur
Remediation – the incorporation or representation of one medium in another medium
- i.e. TV clips that are then used on YouTube – think Tosh.O
- i.e. The clips from 9/11 – you don’t want the commentary, you just want to feel like you’re
there and able to directly experience it
Immediacy – the notion that a medium could erase itself and leave the viewer in the presence of
the objects represented, so that [one] could know the objects directly.
- We want to come up with our own positions – no passively sitting by
Hypermediacy – refers to the multiplication of media on a si