COMS 401 (19)

COMS 401 - Immediacy, Hypermediacy and Remediation.docx

1 Page
Unlock Document

University of Calgary
Communications Studies
COMS 401
Angie Chiang

COMS 401 – November 18, 2013 YouTube is an aggregator of content, not a content creator. – It’s a network of media that differs from cultural production – it’s the networking/joining of created content and distribution. - You can’t classify the audience of YouTube - Combination of amateur and professional content – signals the creation of the amateur celebrity “Remediation” Remediation – the incorporation or representation of one medium in another medium - i.e. TV clips that are then used on YouTube – think Tosh.O - i.e. The clips from 9/11 – you don’t want the commentary, you just want to feel like you’re there and able to directly experience it Immediacy – the notion that a medium could erase itself and leave the viewer in the presence of the objects represented, so that [one] could know the objects directly. - We want to come up with our own positions – no passively sitting by Hypermediacy – refers to the multiplication of media on a si
More Less

Related notes for COMS 401

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.