Class Notes (888,388)
CA (531,518)
U of C (6,230)
COMS (143)
COMS 201 (64)
Lecture

Coms 201 → Chapter Six (Dramaturgical Model)

9 Pages

Department
Communications Studies
Course Code
COMS 201
Professor
Dawn Johnson

This preview shows pages 1-2 and half of page 3. Sign up to view the full 9 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Coms 201  ▯Chapter 6 Goffman’s Model ▯ • Emphasizes a more conscious or deliberate performance of daily life • Particularly on how we craft impressions • Ordinary interaction and theatrical performance • Grew out of Burke’s model Dramaturgical Model ▯ • Links ordinary social interaction to theatrical performance (focusing on  controlling the drama) • The roles the actors take in interaction are performances that are carefully crafted  to project an image to the audience •  The scene  must be managed correctly for the drama to succeed Three Key Concepts ▯ 1.  Frames:   Models we rely on to make sense of experience We learn them through society (generalized other) We use them to organize the social interactions in our lives Funerals, weddings, meetings, interviews, dates We learn from our personal experience and what their structures are We learn how to participate in them Example: in a wedding we know there are rings involved, walking down the aisle,  etc.  We come to learn these through interaction 2.  Impression Management:    The process of managing setting, words, nonverbal cues, dress, etc. in order to  create a certain image of individuals and situations Controlling all elements to project an appearance Examples: Sending an email to a professor, going to a job interview dressed for  the part These can be highly calculate or unintentional 3.  Front/Back Stage:    The front stage is what is visible to an audience What they see of you Back stage is what is “out of sight” and what you think but don’t say We make an effort to make certain things front stage and others back stage Examples: Pretending to take notes in class Performance Ethnography ▯ • The method of interpreting actions to generate understanding in terms of the  people you are studying • A researcher won’t make observation in their terms • Want to see how the people they are studying are seeing themselves • Rather than how outsiders see them • Requires a desire to immerse themselves in the community Key Concepts:  1.  Thick Description:    Describing both the activities of a group and the meanings Behaviorism and humanism Requires time and cultural integration A performance ethnographer would not be able to get a thick description of a  university class if they only show up once 2.  Participant Observation:    Studying a culture by becoming an active member of the community Hovers on the line between researcher and community member Complicated:  A. You don’t want to immerse yourself in a community too much (your emotions  and values will become entangled in that community and objectivity is lost B. The presence of an ethnographer can change the dynamics of the culture being  studied (people perform differently) 3.  Hermeneutic Circle  :  Near experience: Meanings that are significant to the members of the particular  culture Distant experience: Meanings that are significant to the people outside that culture Combo: Things that matter to the people in and out of the community Finding things that are important in a specific group and that are relevant to  people outside the group 4.  Personal Narratives:   The way people tell the stories of their own lives and how they understand their  own experiences Finding a richness in their stories 5.  Responsibility:   Respect and awareness of the role that the researcher plays in a community How we do ethnographic  Unethical for a researcher to steal knowledge and not inform the community  about what they’re doing Need to communicate what they’re trying to achieve Understanding the potential changes they can make to a community Reform is a goal  Give back and help the community understand how it operates Performance as Political Action ▯ • Acknowledges how performance can transform socially • Community theatre or art (how they work in a vulnerable community) • Daily life performance can change the dynamics in a community • Interested in the reform potential of performance Performativity:  • The reiteration of a norm or set of norms to communicate identity • It is a continuous performance • Butler ­ Gender is something we do, not something we are • She talks about how we perform gender daily  • Postures, voices, word choices we consciously and unconsciously do to display  our gender identity •  Examples : expressing our emotions/dressing • Hyper masculinity and femininity (drag queens and other extremes) Turner  ▯Homo Performans • Humans are defined by their participation in rituals, social drama and  improvisational, creative performances in daily life Performances ▯ • Are a means of knowing about experiences • Important way of both knowing and meaning High Art ▯ • Events and experiences removed from everyday life Performance Ethnography ▯ • Explores how social communities are sustained and their values expressed and  sometimes changed through performative practices (rituals/ceremonies/rites of  cultural passage) Dramaturgy  ▯Goffman • Performances in everyday life • Everyday human behavior is distinctly dramatic/theatrical • His theory isn’t the strongest in performance studies • He was interested in how people work to maintain and craft impressions in their  day­to­day activities • These are not fake attempts • These are normal and even unavoidable to us because we have the need to  coordinate our identities with others Dramaturgical Model  ▯ Of Social Interaction • Links ordinary social interaction to theatrical performance • The setting of interaction = Stage • The people acting = actors • Those who watch = audience • The roles the actors take in interaction are performances that are carefully crafted  to project an image to the audience •  The scene  must be managed correctly for the drama to succeed Frames ▯ • Models we rely on to make sense of experience • We rely on these to define situations for ourselves and others • We learn frames through interacting with the generalized other or society • Members of a society share many frames for interacting  • Despite differences in personal experience Americans share frames for… 1. First dates 2. Weddings 3. Applying for a job 4. Funerals Frames reflect cultural knowledge and vary from culture to culture Goffman Studied ▯ • How people present themselves and their actions to others • We convince people to adopt certain definitions of a situation • We shape other’s impressions of ourselves Impression Management ▯ • The process of managing setting, words, nonverbal communication, and dress in  effort to make a certain image of individuals and situations • These can be highly calculate or unintentional • Con: It can be harmful to others at times (deceptive and unethical) • Pro: It allows us to behave in socially appropriate and beneficial ways • Social life would be impossible without ordinary politeness we extend to people  when we engage in impression management • All of us manage impressions we create 1. Women that shave their legs 2. Dressing differently for work/friends/home 3. Drinking from a juice carton alone 4. Confessi
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only pages 1-2 and half of page 3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit