English (155)
ENGL 406 (15)

English 406 - Discussion on Sir Gawain & The Green Knight Part II Lecture Notes

3 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Calgary
ENGL 406
Jacqueline Jenkins

October 23, 2012 English Notes What themes are introduced in beginning that are carried throughout the poem (Sir Gawain and the Green Knight): - magical/fantastical - emphasis on honor and feudalism o honor bound male world - codes of behavior o hospitality - Arthur wont eat until he’s encountered some fantastical thing o Arthur expects things from his subjects  Positive/negative?  Arrogance/pride in Arthur o Image has gone to his head; they haven’t been challenged in their power o He feels invincible o Expects something to come to him  Naïve/immature  Youthful - Green Knight wants to talk to the host; Sir Gawain steps up for Arthur - Conditions of Game – beheading game challenge o Blow for blow: come up and give me a blow but 12 months later I will also give you a blow - Arthur jumps in a desperate attempt to save face; o No one else offered themselves o This is bad because it’s the knights that have to serve Arthur and if something happens to Arthur, the kingdom will fall apart - Sir Gawain steps up o Says Arthur is most noble but you should share the glory with others o If I die no one will miss me, nothing will be affected; if you die, we will fall apart o Gawain covers up the cowardice of Arthur’s court - Do we blame Arthur’s court for not jumping in? o If we look in the context of feudalism, and conventions of that society, they did indeed fail o But if we take a step back, can we blame them for not stepping up to die - Gawain is a fighting warrior o As a character he is concerned with vows and honour  Especially with Arthur’s honour  He is the one that has to save Arthur’s neck  He is Arthur’s nephew o He has obligations to Arthur due to blood and because he is a knight of Arthurs o He is stand-in not only for Arthur but for the
More Less

Related notes for ENGL 406

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.