GEOG 341 Lecture 7: lecture7

4 Pages

Department
Geography
Course Code
GEOG 341
Professor
Aaron Williams

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
The Historical Development of Capitalism October 12, 2016
Prior to capitalism in the western world prevailing economic relations was feudalism
Feudalism lasted from the 5th to 15th centuries
Feudalism was based on custom and tradition
Feudalism was a social order that operated under a system kno as trifutioalit,
where there were three classes of society
o The clergy
o The land owning aristocracy
o The peasats serfs
Feudalism
From the 12th century on and increasingly important class of urban merchants emerged
alled the Bourgeoisie
Vast majority of the population were peasants who were agricultural laborers that lived
on land owned by the aristocrats
Peasants largely kept most of the food. In exchange the peasants would:
o Pay rent in the form of a percentage of the crop they grew
Aristocrats could keep some and sell some for a profit
o Unpaid labor services
o Banal obligations of
Inheritance taxes
Marriage taxes
Milling fees, etc.
Peasants were not allowed to leave the land
They had no choice regarding their livelihood
Social order was not based on contractual relationships but on customs and traditions
and the personal relationships between the land owner and the serf
Markets did exist under feudalism but they were small and poorly developed. Only the
wealthy had the income to buy goods.
In the middle ages most people ate a simple diet that was largely lacking in nutritional
value
Famines were common every few years
Life expectancy: under 50 years
From 950-1250, the population grew about 0.4% per year
Feudal towns and Cities
There were few towns and cities because agricultural productivity rates were low (not
enough food surplus to support large towns)
o Very low diversification within the workforce (no specialization of occupation)
Cities were small
Within cities, feudal guilds and artisans produced a variety of goods (mainly for the
wealthy)
Guilds consisted of skilled workers with years of experience (apprenticeship)
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
The Historical Development of Capitalism October 12, 2016 Prior to capitalism in the western world prevailing economic relations was feudalism th th Feudalism lasted from the 5 to 15 centuries Feudalism was based on custom and tradition Feudalism was a social order that operated under a system known as trifunctionality, where there were three classes of society o The clergy o The land owning aristocracy o The peasants serfs Feudalism From the 12 century on and increasingly important class of urban merchants emerged called the Bourgeoisie Vast majority of the population were peasants who were agricultural laborers that lived on land owned by the aristocrats Peasants largely kept most of the food. In exchange the peasants would: o Pay rent in the form of a percentage of the crop they grew Aristocrats could keep some and sell some for a profit o Unpaid labor services o Banal obligations of Inheritance taxes Marriage taxes Milling fees, etc. Peasants were not allowed to leave the land They had no choice regarding their livelihood Social order was not based on contractual relationships but on customs and traditions and the personal relationships between the land owner and the serf Markets did exist under feudalism but they were small and poorly developed. Only the wealthy had the income to buy goods. In the middle ages most people ate a simple diet that was largely lacking in nutritional value Famines were common every few years Life expectancy: under 50 years From 950-1250, the population grew about 0.4% per year Feudal towns and Cities There were few towns and cities because agricultural productivity rates were low (not enough food surplus to support large towns) o Very low diversification within the workforce (no specialization of occupation) Cities were small Within cities, feudal guilds and artisans produced a variety of goods (mainly for the wealthy) Guilds consisted of skilled workers with years of experience (apprenticeship)
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit