Fall 2017

Department
Geology
Course Code
GLGY 307
Professor
M.Dan Georgescu
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Burgess Shale Discovery
Burgess Shale fossils were discovered by Walcott at the very beginning of the XXth
century in British Columbia
It is on e of the most important fossiliferous points all over the world
Sedimentary Environment
The fossils of Burgess Shale were buried along the continental slope and at the slope
base
o Rapid burial
The fossils of Burgess Shale are found mostly in the dark-colour sediments
o Anoxic conditions
A Reconstruction of the Burgess Shale Biotope
The burgess Shale Middle Cambrian fauna consists of a variety of known and unknown
phyla
The First Fossil Fish
An extraordinary discovery came in the 1990s from the Early Cambian fossiliferous beds
from the Chengiang Province of China
Myllokunmingia represents not only the first fossil fish but also the first known vertebrate
Echmatocrinus
2.5 cm wide just below the tentacles
Originally it was assigned to the crinoids (echinoderms)
Later it was shown that it could be an tetracoral
Phylum Cnidaria
Metazones (multicellular organisms) organized in tissue-grade. There are no organs in
their bodies
The characteristic feature of the representatives of this phylum in that they have
nematocysts (cells that discharge a certain amount of poisonous substance capable of
paralyzing or killing the pray)
Body architecture
o Polyp stage
Sessile (fixed to the sea bottom with a root-like structure)
Asexual reproduction by budding
o Medusa stage
Jellyfish-like (free dweller in the oceanic water column)
Sexual reproduction strategy
Cindrian Classification
Phylum Cnidaria
o Class Hydrozoa; marine and fresh-water; hydroids or hydra exist mostly in polyp
stage. Hydrozoans lack a mineralized skeleton and for this reason are rare in the
fossil record. Evolutionary occurrence is in the Late Cretaceous
o Class Scyphozoa; marine in habitat; are rare in the fossil record due to the lack
of hard body parts. Evolutionary occurrence is in the Cambrian
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Burgess Shale Discovery Burgess Shale fossils were discovered by Walcott at the very beginning of the XXth century in British Columbia It is on e of the most important fossiliferous points all over the world Sedimentary Environment The fossils of Burgess Shale were buried along the continental slope and at the slope base o Rapid burial The fossils of Burgess Shale are found mostly in the dark-colour sediments o Anoxic conditions A Reconstruction of the Burgess Shale Biotope The burgess Shale Middle Cambrian fauna consists of a variety of known and unknown phyla The First Fossil Fish An extraordinary discovery came in the 1990s from the Early Cambian fossiliferous beds from the Chengiang Province of China Myllokunmingia represents not only the first fossil fish but also the first known vertebrate Echmatocrinus 2.5 cm wide just below the tentacles Originally it was assigned to the crinoids (echinoderms) Later it was shown that it could be an tetracoral Phylum Cnidaria Metazones (multicellular organisms) organized in tissue-grade. There are no organs in their bodies The characteristic feature of the representatives of this phylum in that they have nematocysts (cells that discharge a certain amount of poisonous substance capable of paralyzing or killing the pray) Body architecture o Polyp stage Sessile (fixed to the sea bottom with a root-like structure) Asexual reproduction by budding o Medusa stage Jellyfish-like (free dweller in the oceanic water column) Sexual reproduction strategy Cindrian Classification Phylum Cnidaria o Class Hydrozoa; marine and fresh-water; hydroids or hydra exist mostly in polyp stage. Hydrozoans lack a mineralized skeleton and for this reason are rare in the fossil record. Evolutionary occurrence is in the Late Cretaceous o Class Scyphozoa; marine in habitat; are rare in the fossil record due to the lack of hard body parts. Evolutionary occurrence is in the Cambrian 1
More Less
Unlock Document
Start your 2 week free trial

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

Share with your friends

Get 2 friends to sign-up for a free trial as well, and get an additional free week

Next

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit