Sources of Information: Ancient Texts
Written records from the past
• Primary Source
◦ An account written by someone who was present at the event.
• Literacy in ancient world not widely spread.
◦ Mostly upper classes
▪ Sadly upper class most ignorant of technology
▪ Do-ers are not writers.
◦ 25-35% of people in given area slaves – Upper class does not make up the majority.
◦ Only woman who's work survived from antiquity.
◦ Women are much less documented in ancient work, most writers were men who wrote of their
• Often written records are damaged, such as stone which has been reused for building materials.
• Rural society most numerous, but urban dominates the cul