Agricultural Technology and Food
● Agriculture in general
○ In Egypt, most agriculture around the mouth of the Nile river due to annual
flooding. Most evidence for early evolution of agriculture comes from Egyptian
hieroglyphs within tombs, showing early uses of seeing and domesticated
animals to assist with farming techniques.
○ Agriculture allows for civilizations to have a surplus of food and resources. This
allows for people to not have to dedicate their lives to the acquisition of food,
which gives more time for people to expand their realms of thought.
○ Ancients worshiped gods of fertility in hope that this would encourage nature to
provide them with more bountiful agriculture.
● Cultivation of Plants
● Bread, porridge, gruel, beer
● Big part of mediterranean diet.
● Large part of roman and greek diet for wine.
● Watered wine was beverage of choice for everyone, never really
drank without watering it down first.
● Made use of trellising to grow their grapes and make wine.
● Very important for all purposes.
● Olive oil for lighting lamps
■ Palm trees
● Harvested for dates.
● Dates fermented into alcoholic beverage (bad hangover)
● Leaves for roofs and shade
● Trunk used for construction
■ Papyrus plant
● Used for written records on Egypt, very abundant there.
● Soaked and pounded together for paper.
○ Terraced fields