● Warfare was mostly done by the upper classes.
○ One on one combat, no hordes of poorlyarmed peasants.
○ Called Hoplites.
■ Well outfitted, but low in numbers.
● Challenge to Greek military power came from Macedonia.
○ Created Macedonian phalanx.
■ Made use of peasants with shields and long stabbing spear (sarissa)
● 1321 feet long
● Ineffective for close range combat.
■ Army purpose is to walk forward and pin enemies in, while maintaining
● Roman warpower
○ Partial to handtohand combat.
○ Use of gladius (short, for stabbing, thrusting and stabbing).
○ Also carry a pil