LWSO 203 (56)

LWSO 203 - Constitutional Law - Intro.doc

2 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Calgary
Law and Society
LWSO 203
Marywyatt Sindlinger

Constitutional Law 1) Constitution – Intro a) Defined: a comprehensive set of rules and principles capable of providing a exhaustive framework for the system of government (SCC) b) Establishes the structure of the government and that government legitimacy is based in the democratic process c) Allocates legislative authority between the two levels of government d) Establishes legal limits on government authority and action in relation to the individual e) Fundamental principles i) Monarchy ii) Federal iii) Democratic iv) Parliamentary supremacy vs constitutional supremacy v) Rule of law 2) Unwritten Aspects of the Constitution a) Defined: Principles of government that are fundamental to our society but which are not necessarily written down in a legal document b) Three main sources: i) Preamble to CA 1867 ii) Judicial interpretations of constitutional documents and principles iii) Conventions c) Quasi-constitutional documents 3) Written Aspects of the Constitution a) Over 25 written constitutional statutes/acts b) 2 main: i) Co
More Less

Related notes for LWSO 203

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.