LWSO 203 (56)

LWSo 203 - Negligence.doc

3 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Calgary
Law and Society
LWSO 203
Marywyatt Sindlinger

Tort Law 1) Criminal Law vs. Civil Law a) Criminal law -goal of social control i) Public Law -The state (on behalf of all) vs. the accused -goal is to control behaviours and prevent bad behaviour ii) Accused/ Crown prosecutor -the state on behalf of society iii) Guilty/not guilty -a moral judgement -what the accused did was morally wrong -punishment of the offender iv) Beyond a Reasonable Doubt -guilt must be proven beyond reasonable doubt b) Civil Law (negligence law) i) Private law -two people vs. one another -also a form of social control, trying to promote safe relationships and a safe society ii) Plaintiff/defendant -2 parties enforcing law against one another iii) Liable/not liable -not a moral judgement (they could be morally innocent) -the defendant did something that had a negative effect on another and they are responsible for the effect of their actions -compensation of the victim (compensation for damages incurred) iv) Balance of probabilities -it is more likely than not that the actions of the defendant caused injury to the plaintiff -ex. Oj Simpson case 2) Tort Law a) Purpose: compensation -the orderly functioning of society and safe conduct of social life -how we must behave in regard to one another in society to keep everyone safe -set standards of behaviour -if you wrong another person, you will compensate the injured party for the wrong done via an award of monetary damages -the goal is to compensate the victim for the damages they have/will suffer -to return the plaintiff to the way they were prior to the wrongdoing, to make them “whole” again -not intended to punish the defendant, but to hold them responsible (in some cases
More Less

Related notes for LWSO 203

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.