LWSO 203 (56)

LWSO 203-01 March 11, 2013.doc

2 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Calgary
Law and Society
LWSO 203
Marywyatt Sindlinger

LWOS 203-01 March 11, 2013 Tort Law 1) Criminal Law vs. Civil Law a) Criminal law i) Public Law ii) Accused/ Crown prosecutor iii) Guilty/not guilty iv) Beyond a Reasonable Doubt b) Civil Law i) Private law ii) Plaintiff/defendant iii) Liable/not liable iv) Balance of probabilities • Purpose of criminal law is social control • Government/state executes the control • Criminal law: It’s a form of public law • Negligence law is private law between private individuals like corporate groups, etc. ; try to promote save environment amongst society • Both (criminal and negligence law )control criminal behaviour • Do not talk about guilt in neg. only talks about liable (persons done something not morally wrong but did something and had a negative effect on someone else and is responsible for the negative action, no matter how innocent they may be from a moral perspective) • Criminal you talk about the individual being guilty • Criminal law focus is on punishing the offender • Neg. law you composite the consequences • Criminal law, you get the crown prosecutor versus accused (guilty or not guilty) • Neg. law you have the complainant versus the defendant (liable or not liable) • Can be tried criminally and in neg. for a negative behaviour • Criminal law: prove case beyond reasonable doubt • If found guilty in criminal law then your found liable in civil law but it’s not always the other way around 2) Tort Law a) Purpose: compensation b) Duties
More Less

Related notes for LWSO 203

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.