Class Notes (837,291)
Canada (510,219)
Nursing (189)
NURS 203 (32)
All (32)
Lecture

Diseases of the Mouth .docx

2 Pages
128 Views
Unlock Document

Department
Nursing
Course
NURS 203
Professor
All Professors
Semester
Winter

Description
Diseases of the Mouth A. Herpes simplex; Herpes labialis-(fever blisters and cold sores); primary herpes is a systemic infection. Have fever, viremia, generalized lymphadenopathy, and goes away; it stays in the sensory ganglia (dormant in the sensory ganglia) – every now and then it can come out with stress, menses, whatever, and will form vesicles. Recurrent herpes is no longer systemic – there is no more fever, and no more lymphadenopathy. Other virus that remain latent – herpes zoster – remains latent in the sensory ganglia; can involve the skin, lips, dermatomes. So, primary herpes is systemic, recurrent herpes is not. (No fever = no lymphadenopathy).If we enroot and stain, will see inclusion in herpes – it is a multinucleated cell with internuclear inclusions. Biopsy of a multinucleated cell from a pt with HIV, with multiple internuclear inclusions – herpes esophagitis. B. Hairy Leukoplakia This is not an AIDs defining lesion, but IS a preAIDs type of infection – as is thrush, shingles. Located on the lateral boarder of the tongue. Has nothing to do with dysplasia (leukoplakia). It is a result of an infection from EBV. So, do not get the idea that it is a preneoplastic lesion. Start seeing this before the helper T cell count get to 200. Rx - Acyclovir C. Thrush (oral candidiasis) In an adult, therefore can assume that it is in an immunocompromised patient, where there is a defect in cellular immunity. In kids (newborns), they can get it from the mom on the way out. However, it is not a sign of immunocompromise. So, adult = IC’d D. Exudative tonsillitis 30% chance that it is group A beta hemolytic strep. 70% chance that it is a virus; adenovirus, EBV. So, when you see exudative tonsillitis, cannot assume it is bacteria and immediately give PCN. How do you prove it is group A strep? Latex agglutination test. So, most pus tonsils are not bacteria. Example: It is group A strep, and 3 weeks later, has bilateral rales, pansystolic murmur apex radiating into the axilla, polyarthritis – dx?
More Less

Related notes for NURS 203

Log In


OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Sign up

Join to view


OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.


Submit