History – Origins of Democratic State in Europe.docx

4 Pages

Department
Political Science
Course Code
POLI 359
Professor
Mark Baron

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
History – Origins of Democratic State in Europe  Feudal structure  Based on an agrarian mode of production. Suggesting that ones access to political power is based on their relationship to land and agricultural production. Direct link from social status to land and agriculture.  Basically a political economy of land holding. Based on what is known as vassalage. o 1. Vassalage is hierarchical  superordinate (superior) and a group that is subordinate. (vassal) o 2. Based on process of enfeoffment (the deed by which a person was given land in exchange for a pledge of service )  2 sides  political economic (Emperor, nobility, serfs/peasanty) and ecclesiastical (religious): The political-economic structure gives political and economic support to the ecclesiastical structure, in exchange for religious/ideological legitimacy from the ecclesiastical to the political-economic. Manor is center of economic and political authority within the fief. This is where nobility resides.  Enfeoffment requires fealty. In exchange for oath of loyalty, they get a tract of land. Requires them to do a lot of things: maintain law and order in the fiefs in behalf of the upper noble and the emperor. Responsible for collecting taxes and transmitting share to upper officials. Provide military service to senior nobles.  Reciprocity – in exchange for services they will gain access to a trait of land that they can maintain and use to maintain power and prestige in the feudal based society. Increase quality of life and standard living.  Investiture  Peasantry obligated to provide taxes through the agricultural surplus they produce. Pay rents and tides.  Demesneland  within fiefs, farmed in order to pay rent and taxes  Tenement land  permitted to farm for our personal gain as long as they meet obligations.  Hereditary  Primogeniture  pass through generations. Means has to be passed from male ere to male ere. Properties now become owned.  Mercenaries become employed by nobles leading hereditary fiefs  30 years war o About the war fought between the individuals who wanted to preserve the system and those who wanted to eradicate it. o Ultimately, the disposition of Europe at the end of the war is ultimately decided by the Peace of Westphalia. (1648) Product of Munster and Obstenburg.  Does a number of things: 1. Formalizes the existence of the state as the primary locus of identity, political authority, economic interaction, cultural affinity within Europe. At the end of this, Europe is parceled into a number of territorially discrete states that are differentiated by geographical boundaries that are mutually understood. 2. Emergence of an international European system, state as key component. 3. The States that emerge out of this result are in their form absolutist and these are the absolutist states in which the democratic state emerges in Europe. Characteristics of Autocratic States:  Sovereignty centralized in the monarch/monarchy  Centralized bureaucracy subordinate to monarch o As feudalism began to decline, the more powerful monarchs ultimately at the end of the day imitated the process of state-formation. Once you take over a fiefdom, you had to ensure that you sub-ordinate the people of the conquered territory. o The way in which you quell the discontent of these
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit