PSYC 353 – January 24, 2014
**See the longevity articles on Blackboard**
**Watched a video about the senior population in Okinawa**
Defining Health and Illness
- Heath – Absence of acute and chronic physical or mental disease and impairments
- Illness – presence of a physical or mental disease or impairment
Quality of Life
- Relating to specific diseases or conditions
o To what extent does distress from illness or side effects associated with
treatment reduce the person’s will to live?
o Valuation of life – Qualitative
- Relating to end-of-life issues
o Functioning and well-being
o Alzheimer’s (and related dementia)
Changes in Immune System
- How does the defense system work?
- How does aging affect the immune system?
o Not well understood
- Aging is related to how well the system