ANSC 3080 Lecture Notes - Lecture 23: Prostaglandin, Immunodeficiency, Intellectual Disability

17 views6 pages

Document Summary

Located on both side of the trachea, below the larynx. Heavily vascularized, it is the heaviest of pure endocrine glands. Single layer of epithelial cells that secrete thyroid hormones. Lumen filled with protein rich fluid (colloid) Between follicles, parafollicular cells (c cells) secrete calcitonin. Actively transported through follicular cells (i. na symport) Diffuses and accumulates in colloid as iodine (i2) Tgb, a glycoprotein with over 120 tyrosine residues, is released in the lumen. Tyrosine peroxidase (tpo) binds i2 to tyrosine residues. Tgb-i2 up-taken by endocytosis from colloid into cells, fused to lysosomes and split into thyroid hormones. Each tyrosine residue can be iodinated on possibly 2 sites (one i2) Tyrosine = monoiodotyrosine; 2 i2 tyrosine = diiodotyrosine. 2 diiodotyrosines are cleaved=tetraiodothyronine or thyroxine (t4) 1 monoiodotyrosine + 1 diiodotyrosine = triiodothyronine (t3) T3 = 10%; t4 = 90% of thyroid hormones. They are lipophilic = diffuse across basal membrane into interstitial space then into blood capillaries.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers