Anthropology (722)
ANTH 2230 (83)

September 10, 2013 Vital Statistics and Historical Perspectives (I).docx

3 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Guelph
ANTH 2230
Satsuki Kawano

September 10, 2013: Vital Statistics and Historical Perspectives (I) September 10, 2013 2:32 PM  1st commentary on September 17  Quiz on September 19 o Have to identify 4 major islands and cities; now approximate populations and where they are  Vital statistics (I) o Total land area: 370,000 square kilometers, 3800 kilometers long (very long, consists of many islands, have to identify 4 major islands) o Land use: agricultural 13%, forests and fields 67%, dwelling area 5% o Mountainous area: approx 55% o Rainy season in June; important for rice cultivation o Consists of 6852 islands  Main islands o Hokkaido o Honshu o Shikoku o Kyushu  Major Cities (1000 people and over) o Tokyo (new capital) o Osaka o Nagoya  Old capital: Kyoto (don't need to know the location on map)  Population o 127 million (2013) (know this) o Population density: 343 persons per square kilometers (don't need to memorize this) o 22.5% in 12 major cities o Total fertility rate: 1.41 (2012)--> population declining o 65 years old and older: 24% (2012) o Life expectancy at birth: 86.41 (f), 79.94 (m) (2012)  Vital statistics (II) o Economy: 3rd largest economy in the world o Unemployment 4.3% (2012) o Political system  House of Representatives (Lower)  House of Councilors (Upper)  Liberal Democratic Party o "races" and ethnic groups  Majority Japanese--> were pure blooded  The Burakumin--> used to have impure occupations during pre-industrial (ie. Gravediggers, butchers)  Resident Koreans--> in Japan; Koreans used to be part of the empire, brought to work in Japan (ie. Mines)  Chinese  The Ainu--> indigenous people of Japan; slightly more pale skin  Brazilians--> of Japanese descent  Historical Perspectives o History summary chart o Part 1: the beginning of the Meiji Period (19th century)- present  The Fukazawa Reading: the end of the Edo/ Tokugawa period  The McCargo Reading: the Edo/ Tokugawa period to the American occupation o Part 2: Ancient Japan (130000 years ago)- the end of the Edo Period (19th century)  The Umesao Reading: the Edo Period  The End of Japan's Isolation Policy: the End of the Edo Period o Commodore Perry's fleet o Isolation policy was adap
More Less

Related notes for ANTH 2230

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.