ANTH 2230 (83)
D Rose (7)

November 6, 2012

2 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Guelph
ANTH 2230
D Rose

Pierre Bourdieu’s Ideas of Cultural Capital The ways in which distinguish oneself from others in good taste; what is desirable or preference is different from group to group; these preferences are enjoyed by the group i.e. going bowling vs. going to the opera; eating steak vs. baloney; people have different preferences Cultural Capital: there’s an idea of return when we talk about capital; they transpire into economic outcomes  Embodied (i.e. in the form of long lasting dispositions of the mind and body) o Attitudes toward certain practices, taste the way you walk, sit, body proximity, eye contact; they are instilled in us through our culture; different groups have different cultural preferences  Objectified in the form of cultural goods o Things like clothing, brands, art for your home, the style of your furniture, your car; certain things we buy and wear make statements about who we are and give us certain kind of capital in one group but not in others o i.e. SUV drivers in environmental groups vs. other groups  Institutionalized (i.e. academic qualifications) o Something backed by a social institution o i.e.our post-secondary degree is supported by the Education institution o medals in military service are supported by the institution that is the Army o could be marriage in different cultures  Social capital (collective, stems from the group; belonging) o Being a colonizer/colonized o Being free or slaved o Being white o Something that benefits you through ascribed status  Economic capital (land, property, etc.) o Land, money, property Freeman: NOTE: (for those reading this book only; if you are reading Padilla, you do not need to know this section)  Women in th
More Less

Related notes for ANTH 2230

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.