ANTH 2660 (33)
Lecture 3

Lecture 3- Week 5.docx

2 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Guelph
ANTH 2660
Edward Hedican

Week 5 TOPIC: Policy Issues Regarding Aboriginal People I. What is Public Policy? General Guidelines for Action from Where?-Existing Legislation i.e, Canadian Constitution and Charter of Rights and Freedoms -Indian Act -Platforms of Political Parties- in Canada we have had 3 political parties, conservatives serve economic process, II. Examples? - Assimilationist Policy- actions of assimilation where taken against the natives, policies to make natives go to residential schools -Policy of Multi- Culturalism- Kind of mask over discrimination in Canada III. Solving the “Indian Problem”, (or Solving the White Problem?) Made potlatch illegal, tried to make natives want to give up status. IV. Policy Issues: -Aboriginal Community Relocation, i.e, Northern Quebec and the Cree- dams (hydro-electric development near communities (northern Canada) northern Manitoba, northern Quebec have had an effect on the native peoples of that area Especially Cree (relocation to an area with less benefits) -Mercury Pollution, i.e., White Dog and Grassy Narrows in Northern Ontario near Kenora- mercury enter food chain, fish get contaminated with mercury pollution, then humans eat the fish, getting the mercury into their system. No clean up by the Canadian government was issued. The natives where told to stop eating the fish, which they depended on to eat with a low cost -Food and
More Less

Related notes for ANTH 2660

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.